Welcome » » » Upward Bound (College Prep)
Upward Bound and College Assistance
At the Boys and Girls Club at Sharpstown High School, hundreds of first generation, low-income families are seeing a member of their family graduate from high school and go on to college for the very first time. By making a commitment to The Salvation Army's Upward Bound program, youth in the vicinity of the Houston Independent School District's Sharpstown High School are committing to reaching this accomplishment with the help of The Salvation Army's staff. Free of charge, these students are provided academic and career advising, financial aid assistance, a five-week summer program at Rice University, field trips to various other colleges, and assistance with college entrance requirements.
What is Upward Bound?
The Upward Bound Program is an academic pre-college program founded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The purpose of the Upward Bound Program is to prepare and motivate low income and/ or first generation students to attend an institution of higher learning and to be successful at the college and university of their choice.
Who can join the Upward Bound Program?
- 9th and 10th graders whose parents or legal guardian does not have a 4-year degree.
- Students who want to pursue a college degree after High School graduation
- Students who have the desire to achieve their academic potential
- Demonstrate academic need (low grades and/ or low test scores)
FREE Services include
- Academic and career advising
- 5-week summer program at Rice University
- Field trips and cultural events
- Tutoring and mentoring
- Information on financial aid and scholarships
- Assistance with college entrance requirements
- Monthly Incentives
- To participate in Upward Bound, You must:
- Commit to the program until you graduate from High School
- Want to attend a 4-year University after graduation
- Attend a 5-week summer program at Rice University
- Set high academic standards and desire to work towards those goal
To Enroll in Upward Bound
Trissi A. Johnson
Sharpstown High School
Hours of Operations
Monday – Friday
8am – 6pm
click to view map [+]